Pet Care & News

Sandy And Posion E1490118971881

What is poisonous or toxic to my pet?

There are many things that we use in our daily lives that may be dangerous for our dogs and cats. Some items are more well known – such as chocolate – whereas others are not. The most important thing to remember is if you are unsure if something that your pet has gotten into is safe, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. We would rather receive a hundred phone calls asking questions about things that are completely safe for your pet, than not receive a call that could have enabled us to save a life.

Some of the more common potential household toxins are:

  • Chocolate
  • Xylitol – an artificial sweetener found in many things including gum, candy, and some peanut butter
  • Onions and garlic
  • Grapes and raisins – not known what causes toxicity in some dogs and not others
  • Lilies – a single taste can be fatal for a cat depending on the type of lily
  • Antifreeze
  • Mouse poison
  • Marijuana and other recreational drugs
  • Medications – both prescription and over the counter drugs that have not been prescribed to your pet.

The Pet Poison Helpline has compiled a list of the top 10 toxins for 2016. You can check it out here.

Your pet can be poisoned by ingesting, inhaling, or simply touching a toxin. Click here for an article from the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association for more information.

While some toxins can cause immediate side effects, others do not show symptoms immediately but can cause permanent damage. If you think your cat or dog has been exposed to a potential toxin, please contact us immediately. Click here for our contact information or call us at 403-255-7735.

If you know that your cat or dog has been exposed, your pet should be seen immediately by your vet or closest emergency veterinary facility. For contact information for Calgary emergency hospitals, click here.

 

 

fancy_button